Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In My Pantry!

I don’t know about you, but I am obsessed with good food! I am by no means an expert, but I do love a delicious meal just as much as I love a perfect shade or texture in a makeup product. I am one of those people who can happily spend a whole weekend just cooking up a storm in the kitchen. Literally cooking up a storm - that is, the kitchen does look like a hurricane passed through it after I am done – and by then I am too exhausted to clean up….. Sometimes I manage to produce something quite delicious and sometimes it is not as much of a success! But hey, you have to experiment to learn new things – you win some you lose some!

One of my favorite things in the world is to have friends over for a good meal and plenty of wine. Below are some ingredients that are absolutely essential to me.
Fresh herbs of all kinds – An absolute must! I use fresh herbs for everything I cook – whether it is a tossed into a fresh salad or a marinade – I can not go without them.
“I COOK WITH WINE – SOMETIMES I EVEN ADD IT TO THE FOOD!”

Red wine is a must for me and above is my all time favorite French wine - it is dangerously delicious. Don’t waste it by adding it to the food, use a lower quality wine for your stews and sauces, this wine needs to be enjoyed as it is!
Who does not enjoy a good cheese? I think that I could honestly live on cheese quite happily for the rest of my life! But as with everything it is probably best in moderation. I always make sure I have a good parmesan, a good blue cheese and a softer brie or a chevre in my fridge. A shaved parmesan or a grated chevre can take boring pasta or a flat salad and really heighten the flavors and add a more interesting taste experience. Also perfect to have around the house as a yummy snack with wine or as a dessert or starter. Berries & nuts! I always make sure to have raspberries, blueberries and strawberries in my kitchen. Not only are they amazingly good for you – they are so super yummy! I make a fresh smoothie every morning using rice or Soya milk, fresh berries, apple, banana, fresh ginger and fresh leaf spinach. It gives me a nice kick start to the day and a great hit of Vitamin C. They are also really perfect as a dessert with a little ricotta cheese and some lemon, or with Greek yogurt, walnuts and some honey. In my native Sweden we pick them wild in the forest, so berries were always a part of my every day meals.

If anyone has any good recipes they want to share or any unusual ways to enhance and intensify flavor – please shoot me an email and I will have another reason to mess up my kitchen!

With love as always,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment